Friday, October 13, 2006

Why always NO?

I may have posted this before but I was reminded of it again this week.

I'm not a big listener of James Dobson, but something he said years ago comes to mind often.

Why can "no" not sometimes be "yes"?

My kids are always asking... can we read on the front porch? can we play with boxes from the garage? can we make a habitat for "buggy"?

In my busy life I often want to answer with "no". It would be easier for me if the kids didn't get dirty outside, didn't mess up the house with boxes, didn't intentionally bring bugs into the house. But Dobson is ringing in my head... "why can 'no' not sometimes be 'yes'?" When I manage to put down my scheduled and anal agenda, it feels good to say 'yes'.

Of course I'm not talking about a willy-nilly "yes" to things that contradict your family's values or direction. Parents have to protect their family's values and purpose and direction. But most small kids' ideas for fun don't fall into trouble there.

2 comments:

She said...

This is a good thought Allen, but what I really came to visit about is your book. I want to read your book about the power of memorizing scripture, can you hurry along with it please? Seriously, there a few things that are more difficult for me to do. Not as in finding the time for it, I mean the actual memorization of it. Why? It can't all be warfare can it? Are there ways and means that make it simpler? Gwen

kris said...

word up ... it is so easy to just let them have their way once in awhile and we don't always recognize that in our world of 'agendas' ....

as i look back on child-raising years, i don't have lots of regrets, but i do think we could've just said 'yes' more often ....