Monday, October 30, 2006

Reunion Church

I said a little about Reunion Church yesterday but I wanted to say some more.

I think that is a beautiful group of people.

1. They are so friendly; when people have decided to defer to others and to intentionally reach out to people of all races, classes, backgrounds you naturally have a very warm congregation.
2. They interact authentically every Sunday as they pass a mic around the congregation to hear praises and prayer needs. (This is a large theater with probably 200 in attendance.) One lady praises God that her nephew is feeling better, a man tells of his car accident and how God is getting glory through the trial, a couple announces thev've set their wedding date. It's raw and real and up-to-the-minute.
3. The meet-and-greet time is 7 minutes long so that everyone can get to know new people and catch up with friends
4. Their pastor is truly blown away at what God has done for him personally in saving him and it shows
5. After the service I was standing in the hallway with my parents while Debbie went to get the kids. Evidently my mom must have not looked overly happy because an African-American woman wearing a very happy face came up to her and said "Oh honey...honey... SMILE!" and gave her a kiss on the cheek and a hug".

Ministry to people of diverse ethnicity, age, and socio-economic level is hard. It is messy. It is an attitude of constant service to others instead of constant comfort for self.

But, it is right. It is fun. It is interesting. It is life-giving. I was alive in church yesterday.

2 comments:

kris said...

sounds really cool. we may just have to make the drive down there one of these days.

She said...

I want to go there! It is right. It is real. It is the way it should be. Demographics create a very white church body where we are but I was raised with diversity and I miss it.