Thursday, August 03, 2006

Random thoughts

I had a lot of fun playing tennis today (for the first time in ages) with the boyfriend of Kris' daughter. He beat me 6-1 in the first set. In the second set we went to 6-6 but opted not for a tie-break. The set ended up 10-8 David. I'll get him next time.

Lots of mixed emotions today. I was listening to a song that we had done at our church a while back -- "Stained Glass Masquerade" by Casting Crowns. I was wishing all of the people who were together then were still together now. But at the same time I was also gaining a peace that we are all on the right path.

I continued today to reflect on who I am. I am seeing big revelations on how to categorize my work and clarify what it is I want to do.

On networking with people... two things I'm learning are these:
1) Work hard to get a meeting with people, but don't be aggressive using the meeting to ask for a job or for job connections. First of all this takes the pressure of the person you are meeting with. Today, I saw another side to this though. I think this approach, one genuinely based in learning and seeking wisdom, instead of moving toward a job "ask" retains our humility and leaves room for God to work and bring about his plans. Humble yourself under God's hand and he will lift you up in due time.
2) Think before you meet with anyone! The meeting will go much better. (not just in networking but anywhere)

Like I said... just random thoughts

2 comments:

kris said...

for random thoughts, those are pretty good ....

thinking is AL-ways a good idea -- i wonder why more people don't engage in it!

no, really! i get so frustrated w/ people who just go thru' life w/out taking the time to think about, really, anything. it seems like so many just go thru' their routine, do their stuff, don't think about the world or people around them or their own behavior or the relationship w/ God they have - and how that can have an impact on others ... or well, like i said, anything.

you have a great mind and God is going to plug it into a great situation for you to put it to the best use. keep up the good work you're doing to get there and you'll learn alot along the way.

oh - and on YESTERDAY's post - (can't believe i missed one!) - God must have intended people to work in a variety of ways to have gifted us as uniquely as he does -- why wouldn't he want to bless us w/ joy when our work fits our gifting!?!

phew ... sorry to talk so much!

Rusty said...

Hey Allen. Great post here. I love the song by Casting Crowns that you mentioned here. I have yet to hear anyone else do the song other than Crowns. Better luck next time with your tennis game.