Monday, January 08, 2007

No more victim mentality

Bad things happen... you can choose to be a victim or you can choose to move on stronger to the next thing.

Victims think people owe them. They can even think God owes them.

I have to confess that I've acted like a victim sometimes since August. I've felt like certain people owed me and like God owed me. I had a lot of disappointment in my last job and I'm somewhat scattered from my friends... BUT this doesn't obligate the God of the universe to give me a new job and life that's easy and comfy. God is amazingly huge and powerful. I need to BEG him to use me... not EXPECT him to help me and use me.

I've been blessed with so many things...
Good family of origin
Awesome wife and kids
Good friends
Good health
Education
Food to eat
Comfortable place to live
More stuff than most people in the world would ever imagine having

I don't need to live in despair. I could get a job. Deb could. We have 3.5 university degrees between us. We have so much. As we beg God to continue opening doors for us to work in our passion, we must remember we are asking for a privilege or gift and should not feel it an entitlement.

One night I took Deb's mom back to her home while Deb stayed behind to get the kids to bed. On the way back I had an amazing time. It was a beautiful starry night and within the span of 20 short minutes I realized again how big God is and how small I am. He who flung the stars into space is not obligated to me. So what if I gave a few years of my life in an endeavor that didn't end up well... big deal......... Jesus left heaven and bore my sin.

1 comment:

kris said...

i'm still trying to figure out why this post didn't show up when i went to your site until this morning. xanga is so weird sometimes. maybe today is the day i needed to be reminded.

this is good stuff....